Apple Walnut Pie – Today we have another delicious cake with apples at Little Patisserie :) I invite you to try this stunning apple cake, which is bursting with apples, spices, nuts and candied orange peel, rounded off with a crispy pastry. It looks fantastic, smells good and is easy to prepare. It usually takes some time to peel and cut the apples, so I’d recommend finding yourself a helper. I guarantee it will all be worth it!
Apple Walnut Pie
- 130g unsalted soft butter (room temperature)
- 250g plain flour
- 80g light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1.5kg washed apples
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 60g raisins
- 1 tbsp candied orange peel
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp potato flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- icing sugar to sprinkle
- Place the flour into a bowl, then add the sugar, chopped butter and egg. Mix with an electric mixer until moist crumbs are formed. Then knead the pastry with your hands. Wrap the pastry in plastic food wrap and refrigerate for about 40 minutes.
- Peel the apples, divide them into halves, remove the seeds and cut them into pieces. Place them into a pan or pot and sprinkle with lemon juice, mixing together.
- Fry the apples on a medium heat for about 10 minutes until they soften a little, then remove.
- Mix together the potato flour and spices, then sift into the hot apples. Add the raisins, nuts and candied orange peel, then mix well. Let the mixture cool completely.
- Take the pastry out of the refrigerator, knead briefly and sprinkle with flour to roll out into a large circle. (This needs to be much bigger than the bottom of your cake tin. I used a ceramic tart pan with a width of 26cm, lined with baking paper.)
- Place the pastry in the cake tin. There should be plenty of extra mixture sticking out – do not cut this off.
- Puncture the pastry with a fork and place the apple mixture on top, then smooth. Fold the extra mixture back inside. Place the cake in the preheated oven. Bake at 160°C for about 40 minutes. I bake mine on the lowest oven rack. After removing from the oven, let it cool down. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
Happy baking! :)