Today we have another delicious batch of Christmas cookies. They are very, very tasty, with lots of spices and a buttery, aromatic and crispy finish. I filled them with a walnut-flavoured butterscotch, but you can use a different filling. They look appetising and very festive! I’m sure they have Santa Claus’ seal of approval :)
Dulce de Leche Sandwich Cookies
Ingredients for about 25 cookies
- 220g soft, unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 yolk (at the same temperature as the butter)
- 400g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 tsp water
- 1 x 13.4 ounce can Dulce de Leche
- icing sugar to sprinkle
- Put the butter into a bowl, sift the icing sugar and whisk with an electric mixer for about 2–3 minutes. Add egg yolk and mix with an electric mixer until the ingredients are combined.
- Add baking powder, spices and salt to the flour. Mix with a spoon.
- Add the prepared flour and water to the butter mixture. Mix with an electric mixer until moist crumbs are formed. Leave the mixer aside and knead the mixture with your hands (the mixture will crumble a little as it won’t be very elastic).
- Wrap the mixture in plastic food wrap and put it in the refrigerator for about 30-40 minutes. Knead the cooled mixture briefly and roll out thinly by sprinkling flour. Cut out the cookies from the mixture (my mould was 7cm in width) and place them on a baking tin lined with baking paper, or a silicon baking mat if you prefer. Using a smaller cutter, cut a small hole in the centre of half the cookies.
- Place the baking tin into a preheated oven and bake at 160°C for about 15 minutes with the fan on. After taking it out of the oven, set aside to cool for about 10 minutes. When they’re cool, lift the cookies from the baking tin. Take extra care, as they will be crispy.
- Put the Dulce de Leche butterscotch into a pan and boil while stirring. When it reaches boiling point, reduce the heat to a minimum and simmer for about 1–2 minutes, remembering to stir. Take it off the hob and let it cool for about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle icing sugar over the cookies with a hole in the middle.
- Place 1 tsp of warm Dulce de Leche into each whole cookie and place the cut out cookies over the top. Press together gently and set the cookies aside for 1–2 hours.
Happy baking! :)