Quick and Easy Marble Cake – Another wonderful cake in the Little Patisserie. It’s moist, fluffy, smells good, looks wonderful and you don’t need a lot of ingredients to make it. Perfect with coffee or a glass of milk.
Quick & Easy Marble Cake
Ingredients (should be at room temperature)
- 160ml oil (I used rapeseed oil)
- 100ml water
- 220g icing sugar
- 5 eggs – yolks and whites separately
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar-free cocoa
- icing sugar for sprinkling
- Grease a 23cm or 24cm diameter cake tin with butter and dust with flour (or for more complex shapes, you can use cake release spray).
- Pour the oil, water, and icing sugar into a bowl and mix for around 2–3 minutes. Then add the egg yolks one at a time, after each addition mix with the mixer to combine the ingredients.
- Add the vanilla extract, orange zest and mix.
- Add the baking powder to the flour, mix with a spoon and sift into the wet ingredients. Mix briefly with an electric mixer to combine the ingredients.
- Put the egg whites into a clean, dry bowl and beat with an electric mixer to a foam, stiff enough to hold its shape. Set aside one heaped tbsp of the froth and add half of the remaining froth to the batter and mix with a spatula. Add the remaining foam and mix again with a spatula.
- Pour about 1/4 of the mixture into the reserved egg whites, sift in the cocoa and mix with a spatula to form a smooth batter.
- Pour a little of the light mixture into the prepared cake tin, then a little of the dark mixture, alternating until all the mixture is used up.
- Place the cake tin in the preheated oven. Bake at 180°C for approximately 55–60 minutes. I baked on the lowest oven level.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for about 20 minutes. Remove from the tin and set aside to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
Happy baking :)