Today in Little Patisserie’s recipes, we’re going to try a quick and easy oil-based cake with strawberries. This is a summer classic; one my mother would often make during the holidays. The cake is fluffy and the fruits give it a lovely moist texture, as well as a gorgeous aroma. It tastes great when mildly warmed through, with a glass of milk. Try it yourself with rhubarb or raspberries.
Really Easy Strawberry (or Rhubarb) Cake
Ingredients (should be at room temperature):
- 5 large eggs
- 200g sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200ml oil
- 340g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 450-500g strawberries or rhubarb
- icing sugar to sprinkle
- Set the oven to 160°C. Line a 25x30cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Wash the strawberries and remove the stems. Cut large strawberries into smaller pieces. If you’re using rhubarb, slice it into pieces.
- Sift the flour, add baking powder and stir briefly with a spoon.
- Crack the eggs into a clean, dry bowl (whites and yolks) and add sugar. Whisk it with an electric mixer for about 4 minutes, until it becomes a fluffy foam.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, then pour in the oil slowly. Stir for a few seconds.
- Next, add the prepared flour and briefly mix with the mixer until all the ingredients are combined. Finish off briefly with a spatula. Place the batter into the baking tin and spread evenly. Lay the fruits on the top and place in preheated oven. Bake for about 55–60 minutes. I bake it on the lowest oven rack. After taking it out of the oven, leave it to cool completely.
Sprinkle the cake with icing sugar before serving.
Happy baking! :)